Thursday, March 3, 2011

Possessions - Language Point


There are lots of different ways of talking about possessions or things that belong to you. For example, Alice said 'Raju this one's for you' and Tim said 'Helen here's yours'.

Apostrophes


We can show that something belongs or is owned by some by usingan apostrophe (') plus the letter s:

It's Bill' s house.

It's the boy' s dog. = one boy and one dog

They're the boy s' dogs. = more than one boy and more than one dog

Mine / Yours /His / Hers

We can use these pronouns to show possession:

Is that Bill's coat?
No, it's  mine. = It's my coat.

Is this pen  mine or yours? = my pen or your pen
Neither, it's hers. = her pen

Whose?
It's Molly's pen.

We can also use these pronouns in this way:

He's a friend of  mine. = my friend

That was a great book of  yours you lent me. = your book

Note: We  don't use apostrophes with these pronouns:

It's her's   - wrong
           

It's hers  - correct

They're your's  - wrong
           

They're yours  - correct

It's their's  - wrong
           

It's theirs  - correct

My own / your own / his own / her own



We can use my / your / his / her before own to show that somethingbelongs only to me/you/ her etc and not shared with anyone else:

This is all  my own work. No-one helped me with it.

After sharing a flat for years, she was glad to buy  her own house.

We shared our first car with my parents-in-law but we've got  our own car now.


We can also use this structure to talk about things we do by ourselves rather than having someone else do them for you.

He can't afford to go to the hairdressers so he just cuts  his own hair.

She's got a sewing machine and makes  her own clothes.


Enjoy English!!

No comments:

Post a Comment